Blue Marine Foundation

Restoring oysters, seagrass and saltmarsh

Blue Marine Foundation aims to restore the ocean to health by establishing marine protected areas, restoring critical marine habitats and tackling overfishing. Blue Marine's mission is to see at least 30% of the world’s ocean under effective protection by 2030 and the other 70% managed responsibly.

history Campaign has now closed

It ran from 12:00 PM, 22 April 2022 to 12:00 PM, 29 April 2022

Registered Charity in England and Wales (1137209)

open_in_new https://www.bluemarinefoundation.com/
Check mark Match funded

Campaign target

£50,000

Amount raised

£52,721

Donations

50

Championed by The EQ Foundation

    Categories

  • Environment/ConservationEnvironment/Conservation

    Helping

  • General Public/HumankindGeneral Public/Humankind

Location

United Kingdom

Situation

The Solent’s waters once contained abundant seagrass, saltmarsh and oyster habitats but are now severely degraded. These remarkable habitats sequester carbon, provide nursery grounds for juvenile fish, filter water and are home to a host of marine life including the endangered European eel. The dramatic loss of these habitats due to human pressures, pollution and climate change means the benefits they provide are disappearing at an alarming rate.

Solution

Blue Marine is working to bring these habitats back through protection and active restoration to enable recovery on a seascape scale. We are engaging the local community in the restoration of these iconic ecosystems. We want to create a successful model which proves the carbon, biodiversity and wider benefits of these habitats to catalyse large scale restoration not just in the Solent but around the entire UK coastline.