Step One is a much-loved charity supporting the Devon community with their mental health, to take control of their future and fulfil their potential. At Step One every year, we support 800 people with disabilities and mental health issues to achieve employability goals and live independently.
Mental health problems are increasing: 1 in 5 people now show signs of depression. Assessments indicate an additional 500,000 people will suffer mental health problems due to COVID-19 nationally. Christmas can bring with it extra pressure, affecting people’s mental health: the feeling of loneliness or grief may be exacerbated; family events can be difficult and stressful; the idea of creating a ‘perfect Christmas’ can take its toll and services may be closed.
Step One support people with disabilities & mental health issues. 21% of patients are supported by our acute services at Cypress Hospital & Granvue. 39% are supported in the community with supported living and community services - 70% have high functioning autism; the remaining 30% have a mental health concern such as psychosis or dual diagnosis. In 2021 we launched BeWell@StepOne - an online self-management mental health program. During December, this will be tailored to the Christmas period.