City of Exeter YMCA

Reducing youth homelessness in Exeter

We are raising funds to tackle and reduce youth homelessness. The funds we raise will be used towards the purchase of truly affordable accommodation in nurturing communities, where young people can live long-term and be supported to thrive in their body, mind and spirit.

history Campaign has now closed

It ran from 12:00 PM, 3 December 2019 to 12:00 PM, 10 December 2019


Registered Charity in England and Wales (803226)

Check mark Match funded

Campaign target


Amount raised




Championed by Jane Thurnell-Read


  • Health/WellbeingHealth/Wellbeing
  • Homeless/RefugeHomeless/Refuge
  • ReligiousReligious


  • Children (3-18)Children (3-18)
  • Minority GroupsMinority Groups
  • Young People (18-30)Young People (18-30)


United Kingdom

  • The second I walked in to YMCA it was so great. They had everything I needed in my room and I made friends from all the groups that were on. Going to YMCA was the best decision I've ever made, my family think so too. I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

    — Jess

  • My mum and dad lived at the YMCA and they have always told me it is a place I can go if I ever needed. It feels like YMCA has helped me to be a better person, it has been my lifeline. My goal is to move on to the stage 3 housing in Exwick, save up and then get my own place one day in Exeter.

    — Jonathan

  • I used to argue with my stepdad a lot and he would be agrresive towards me. I decided with him and my mum it was best for me to move away and I went to YMCA. The YMCA will get you out more and encourage you in all you do. One day I would love a place to call my own and a dog that I can look after.

    — Jade

  • I became homeless after the friend I was living with became ill and I could no longer stay. I came to the YMCA after not being eligible for other support, I'm grateful for their guidance and for pushing me to do things worth doing. I now live with my girlfriend and work for YMCA doing IT support.

    — Damian


We are seeking to solve the lack of truly affordable accommodation for vulnerable young adults in Exeter, so they are prevented from long-term homelessness. In 2018, there were 281 16-24 year olds who approached Exeter City Council for help with housing. However, only 24% were housed, or prevented from homelessness, leaving 76% homeless or at risk of homelessness, with no access to long-term one bed accommodation, which Devon Home Choice recognises as a priority and urgent need.


Our innovative solution to this problem is to develop and invest in single bed housing provision, so homeless young people can have secure accommodation without the need of a deposit or rent up front – both of which are huge barriers in them finding accommodation. Match funding will enable us to secure the first 8 units of single bed accommodation within the next year, which will then increase to 28 by 2021, and 98 by 2024.